The Knotty Sheep Shop

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I have been actively looking for vintage knitting items and sewing notions of late. I find it interesting the way things of the past are still connected to the present.

Maybe that is why so many of us still surround ourselves with antiques and childhood memories. They remind us more of innocence and simplicity rather than high tech and mechanical gadgets.

Recently, I found these Grace Ennis beauties on eBay. I don't know who actually knit the sock - but I wonder - did the knitter knit her loved one an article of clothing out of necessity or out of her passion for knitting? I will never know.

This vintage piece has been washed, needles and all and will find itself in a shadow box on the studio wall. I like the idea of immortalizing this knitter - more of us should think of our fiber art as art! Let's decorate our walls - furniture - and each other!! Comments, please!


No comments: